About us

(To follow this blog, create or sign into a google account and/or create an account for www.blogspot.com . Click "follow" on the top left corner of this blog or click on "dashboard" on the top right of this blog and add the url www.sportsmastermind.blogspot.com under "follow blogs" OR on the right side of the blog, click the "follow" button using Google Friend Connect. FOLLOW THE GREATEST SPORTS BLOG EVER!

Monday, September 13, 2010

NFL 2010 week 1 follow-up: Monday Night Preview

                Straight to the point.  I was 9 of 14 in terms of picking the NFL winners this week.  Sadly in terms of being the ultimate sports mastermind, I went a mere 6-6-1 on the betting spread so far in week one.  I was as good or better than picking winners over 8 of 11 so called experts on ESPN and Yahoo Sports.  I was exactly in the middle of the pack on Fox Sports and CBS's in relation to their analysts betting spread predictions and those records.  More importantly, I made three BEST BETS, predictions I thought were guaranteed, and encouraged you to bet on, we got 2 of those 3 correct.  Being new to the world of vegas odds, I now understand why they create point spreads the way they do and I will never be too bold or brash in any of my future claims.  However, I am still .500 so if you went with me, we would've lost no money this week.  Also, the Bucs game, which I feel like I should've won by picking the bucs, technically, we got a push based on my wording and the actual bet line.  I didn't pick the spread for the Saints/Vikings, but I could've been right in picking the Saints but by less than six.  It's really hard to get the winners of the games right and to place the right bets...however,  I offer no excuses, but to say that in the end, I will be the best bet in every way of picking and betting on games, and we're off to a solid start, as I plan to never have a losing record.
              I also plan on getting 80% of the winners right and 60% of the bets right...we're slightly below those goals on both because the Falcons offense was pitiful and the Steelers pulled one out in overtime.  The Patriots are as great on offense, but much better on defense than I expected.  And lastly, because the 49ers are a joke, I bought into the hype a little too soon and the collective media bit off more than they could chew with that one.  The 49ers not only cost me a bet, and gave me a loser/loss, they also ruined the perfection of my BEST BET system.  Going two for three on those, and progressing forward seems good enough to start though.  Awesomely, my playoff predictions are off to a spectacular start.  Most awesomely in seeing that my greatest, boldest and best prediction of the week was completely accurate.  I had heard things about Arian Foster but I didn't know he'd be the reason the Houston Texans would beat the Indianapolis Colts.  I actually think it had more to do with that incredible offensive line.  The Texans, whom I picked to win that division, beat the Colts, whom I picked as a wildcard, so that division has started off as I predicted.  The Patriots are off to a flying start, and already people are doubting why they picked the Jets and Dolphins over these guys, as I had the Pats winning the division.   I also had the Bengals winning their division, but since they lost to another playoff team in my fantasy future, it still works out.  The New York Giants looked impressive at times, especially on defense as they won (one of my wildcard picks)  I picked the Saints to be better than the Falcons (who lost) for that division as they beat the vikings (another wildcard possibility).  The Redskins beat the Cowboys, which was the only upset in my playoff seedings, but I still thought the 'skins were possible playoff contenders and the Cowboys did look like the more talented team, so thats on par.  The Dolphins, my other wildcard team, won a tough, close game in Buffalo.  The Packers held on to defeat a great philly defense and a lightning fast Michael Vick to maintain their high standing in the pecking order.  The only concern is truly not a concern, seeing as San Francisco should bounce back from an embarassing loss in an awful division, and the Chargers look to prove they're still the best in the AFC west tonight. (with my prediction upcoming)
               We will be looking to update the system of predicting the games for next week.  After a week of getting to see each team's true potential, I guarantee better predictions for week 2.  Trust the Mastermind.  Meanwhile we have two more games to put me over or under .500 in terms of the odds/bets/spread point system, and I can taste a succesful week so bad that I encourage you guys to buy the horse on the farm! WHAT!!  So how should we do this.....hmm....

Baltimore
Ravens
@                       The Jets at home are favored by two points over the Baltimore Ravens.
New York
Jets

The Jets are good, despite all of my lunatic rantings this pre-season, I was actually hoping that Darelle Revis would continue to sit out for the rest of the season so I would look even smarter about how mediocre the Jets actually were and are.  Darelle Revis changes the way the defense plays, and changes the way we all look at the Jets.  I should've seen that this new-found hollywood media hogging, fame-seeking team would reach an agreement with Revis on the last episode of Hard Knocks.  Regardless of how everyone says there are no more shut-down corners in the league, and that shut-down corners were a myth to begin with.  The truth is we haven't seen someone as talented as Darelle in ages, and so the media has chosen to not quite believe their collective eyes or his stats.  He takes your best offensive receiving weapon out of the game, case closed.  With that said, if you are a well balanced team, or a good running team, or you have two great receivers, Darelle Revis can't stop everything!  The Ravens recently added T.J Houshmanzadeh on top of acquiring Anquan Bolden from the Cardinals in the off-season.  More importantly, Ray Rice has become the third or fourth most excellent, consistent, and talented running backs in the NFL.  Joe Flacco is not only steady at Quarterback, but he's proven to be clutch.  In leading his team through five playoff games in his first two years, he's assumed the role of care-taker in the offense, whilst having the ability to create big plays when needed.  The Ravens defense and secondary is almost as bad as the Jets offense and quarterback, Mark Sanchez could be.  Nothing is definite, things could change, and players could step up (see Patriots defense) but it might come down to which team's weakness is weaker.

I love when I don't have to worry about the damn score, this an easy one for me.  I have questioned the Ravens defense, especially in the secondary but nothing has bothered me more than the media's new love for a team that had so many breaks and flukes happen last season, the N.Y. Jets.  Noone knows how cohesive this offensive line will play or how many carries Shonn Greene can handle and as we've already seen, nothing is a sure thing on the NFL's opening weekend.  Ray Lewis is angry though, and Rex Ryan has made so many opposing coaches and players upset with his big mouth, that Mark Sanchez will have to pay for checks Ryan's comments can't cash.  or something?   The Ravens front seven is so good and they must've found a few decent cornerbacks in the pre-season... and they always have an above average defense.  I'm actually trying to determine if the Ravens could be the forgotten team in my playoff predictions, at the very least, they can prove most of the media wrong about the Jets, tonight. The Ravens will win this game, it's that simple.

San Diego
Chargers
@                              The visiting Chargers are a 4-5 point favorite over the K.C. Chiefs.
Kansas City
Chiefs                       

San Diego has an insane amount of problems and issues to deal with.  Marcus Mcneil, their left tackle (which is the most important position when it comes to protecting the qb's blind side), is planning to hold out for the entire season due to the Charger's lack of respect in contract negotiations.  The team's top wide receiver, Vincent Jackson, will be missing at least 3 games due to suspension or being put on the PUP list, but he's also holding out while the team searches to find a fair trade...  I'm sure Phillip Rivers would rather have his biggest and fastest guy back with him on offense, Antonio Gates has to block on half of the plays.  Ryan Matthews has high expectations but he's still a rookie.  The Chiefs have some incredible coaches and coordinaters, a few good veterans/leaders, a young Matt Cassel at qb, and two proven running backs.  However, they don't seem to have enough power on the lines, or a strong/consistent enough defense to really compete with the big boys this season.

Everyone has the Chargers winning their weak AFC west division title for the fourth consecutive year, (Chris Berman has them going to the Super Bowl)  These guys are consistently consistent, but then they consistently dissapoint come playoff time.  San Diego has a tendecy to get off to a weak start, and early division rivarly games on the opposing team's field can be hard to predict. (see Cowboys @ Redskins)  The Chargers will want to prove that they are still great, and are being over-looked this time around, the Chiefs are just inferior.  San Diego will defeat The Chiefs by more than 5 points, actual factual!

No comments:

Post a Comment